Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Day I Had Dinner With My Mother-In-Law

Yes, heres how a simple stress-free evening jog with Jie degenerated into a mini-scale highly-stressful meet the parents session! The jog was a bloody last minute thingy.. had like 30 seconds to prepare.. I think me, the unemployed, is top on everyone's "losers to call if lonely" list. The jog was good. A short FAST one - which almost killed slowey. Hmm I must say Jie has somehow managed to turn running into a kind of Extreme Sport. Heh ask her about the thread-mill incident.. think she should take up sky diving or bungee jumping instead, safer.

Then Jie informed me that she was cooking dinner for her family, which suddenly made me very glad that me mum had already prepared dinner for me. Saw her home and then thought since I am already there, might as well go pump up the gym-ball. Somehow Jie managed to convince me to agree to eat a little, her exact words were:" Di eat a little lahz, I cook very fast one. By the time u finished, my family NOT back yet." We set the table, laid the dishes and sat down to eat.. thats when the downward spiral began..

Even before I managed to decide which dish is actually edible.. I heard the tingling of keys and the front door opened.. in pop Jie's sis-look-alike.. her mum! Arrgghhhh!! Then Jie prep rice for her mum.. and horror of horrors.. instead of sitting beside jie, auntie sat beside me!!!! So there I was stuck in the middle auntie on me left and Jie on me right *not tt I can tell the difference*. Then the tingling of keys AGAIN.. and in pop Jie's Eldest brother! *Arrgghhhhh!!! by now i am looking like a red lobster.. awkward, embarrassed and stressed, I was desperately plotting me escape, pondering if it's possible to swallow me food, plate, fork & spoon in one gulp* LUCKILY Jie's brother didnt attempt to sit on me right.. nevertheless I was frantically trying to recall if the knife welding brother was Da Ge or Er Ge.

Then came the table talk: Auntie said "Bu(2) yong(4) ke(4) qi(4).. duo(1) chi(2).. xiang (4) shi (4) zi(4) ji(3) ren(2) le(4)" I almost swallowed me spoon. Then auntie ask about me job at the cafe.. to which i replied tt I am gg to be a teacher.. and she voiced her approval of it! Wow a few more minutes and we will be talking abt setting an auspicious date, dowry and betroth gifts. I got a feeling that auntie feels that 2005 is a good year for ALL her children to wed Da Ge, Er Ge and Jie! Heh but smart me managed to finish me food fast fast and escaped to the kitchen to wash me plate!


*I must state that this posting has been overly dramatised... and Jie's family members are some of the nicest people around! Also uncle will not want a son-in-law who keeps pumping up his nemesis Gymball! Heh nothing pleases him better than to deflate the gymball *twice in 2 weeks* and even auntie has noticed it!Nevertheless managed to pump up Jie's gymball after dinner. but Jie, think I will seriously advice u to release some air from it... think i overdid it*

1 Comments:

Blogger Corrine said...

Di.. ur entry is damn funny and entertaining i must say..

1:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home